This website may contain affiliate links and advertising so that we can provide recipes to you. Read my disclosure policy.
Explore the taste of the South with this easy White BBQ Sauce recipe. With just a handful of ingredients, including mayonnaise, vinegar, and spices, this creamy and tangy sauce adds a flavorful twist to your favorite veggies, fries, or chicken!
What is Alabama White BBQ Sauce?
As you can probably guess, this white barbecue sauce recipe hails from the South! Specifically Alabama. Unlike traditional tomato-based barbecue sauces (try my homemade BBQ sauce here!) Alabama White BBQ Sauce is mayonnaise-based, which gives it the perfect creamy texture. Because it uses some vinegar, lemon, and a few other spices, this recipe tends to be a bit on the spicy side, so it’s best used as a dipping sauce for fried or grilled meats or even a delicious salad dressing.
Although this started in Alabama, it is now seen all over the place because it’s so delicious! I’m telling you, use this sauce as a dip for your wings or fried chicken, and you will never go back to regular BBQ sauce again!
Ingredients in White BBQ Sauce
These few simple ingredients mixed together make the most delicious sauce! Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for all of the exact measurements.
- Mayonnaise: The may base of this sauce provides a smooth texture and a subtle egg flavor.
- White Vinegar: This adds a delicious tangy and acidic flavor.
- Lemon Juice: The lemon juice brightens the flavor of the sauce
- Spicy Brown Mustard: With a tiny hint of heat, the spicy brown mustard adds some flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce: This savory sauce adds umami to the white BBQ sauce.
- Brown Sugar: The brown sugar adds some sweetness to balance out the tang and spice from the other ingredients.
- Garlic Powder: You can’t go wrong with a hint of garlic!
- Cayenne Pepper: This adds a subtle kick without overwhelming the other flavors in the White BBQ sauce.
- Kosher Salt: This enhances the flavors in the recipe.
- Black Pepper: This adds a mild spiciness to the sauce.
How to Make White BBQ Sauce
Not only is this recipe delicious, but it’s SO easy! You don’t even need to buy it at the store anymore. Making it at home is so much better!
- Combine and Whisk: Add all of the ingredients to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- Adjust Seasonings: Taste and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
Tips and Variations
This delicious White BBQ Sauce recipe is perfect as is, but my favorite part about making this sauce at home is you can adjust the flavor to your liking! Here are a few ways to change things up.
- Horseradish Cream: Traditionally, this sauce uses a small amount of prepared horseradish cream. Add one teaspoon if you’re into this flavor and want a little kick!
- Make it Spicer: If you like spice, add a splash of hot sauce or increase the cayenne pepper.
- Make it Mild: To make it a little more mild in flavor, decrease the cayenne pepper and use regular or Dijon mustard instead.
How to Store Leftovers
If you have leftovers of this White BBQ Sauce (or want to make it ahead of time), you can easily store it in an airtight jar or container in your fridge. It will last for about one week.
Pin this now to find it later
Serving: 2tablepsoonsCalories: 200kcalCarbohydrates: 2gProtein: 0.4gFat: 21gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 13gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 279mgPotassium: 19mgFiber: 0.1gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 46IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 6mgIron: 0.1mg
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.